Monday, April 3, 2017

A September Challenge: Read "The Absolutes: Freedom's Only Hope"

As I pen this column, there are about 70 days left until the United States presidential election of 2012. We will then have a reprieve from watching political commercials. Although a financial boon for television and radio stations, I tend to get headaches from watching people sling mud at each other. Then at the end of many of them we hear those magic words, “I am John the slick politician and I approved this message.” Will they really do all they say they will do? Or is it just another political season where the candidates throw darts at the wall to see which ones will stick and translate to votes in the voting booth?

Because of the upcoming election, I have purposed that in September I am going to read a book that I originally read about 8 or 9 years ago. James Robison, the Texas-born evangelist, published “The Absolutes: Freedom’s Only Hope” in the aftermath of the 911 terrorist bombings of the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and the doomed hijacked plane that crashed near Shanksville, Pennsylvania. As Robison expresses in the Introduction to the book, the premise of his book is that “the absolutes are the foundation stones of our society-and these same principles have been foundational to all stable societies throughout history. When these societies begin to depart from the absolutes, they also begin to decay.” He further invites the reader to explore history. By embracing the moral absolutes of God’s word a society “invites prosperity, success and the blessings of freedom”. Whereas, Robison asserts that when a society ignores them their actions “fly in the face of reality and courts disaster.”


In my weekend radio broadcast on KTLF in Colorado Springs, I have challenged my listeners to join me in reading “The Absolutes” during the month of September or at least some time before the election. I gain nothing from recommending his book. I have only spoken to James Robison a couple of times in my life. Once we spoke at his television tapings of the possibilities of conducting Christian concerts on military bases throughout America. Once played in a golf tournament with him and spoke with James for about 10 minutes. But, if Christians across our land would read “The Absolutes” it would provide a great reminder of those moral absolutes that have made our country great.


I have come to really love social media sites like Twitter, Facebook and Linkedin. I have used them as tools to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ. But, I am also astounded at how many people have no respect for God’s word…the Bible. It is more than just a guideline for living. The Holy Scriptures are more than an advice column or some archaic codex of proverbs. They are God’s living word to us that is amazingly powerful. If you talk to anyone who has come out of a dark past, you will likely hear of how passages in God’s Word gave them strength for living. Hebrews 4:12 speaks to how exciting a book the Bible can be in our lives. Talk to a born again Christian and ask them how important God’s Word has been in their life. Get ready to hear some thrilling stories of how the Bible was used by God to change their life.


I can’t stress enough my recommendation that you read “The Absolutes” in September. But, I encourage you to read God’s Word everyday of your life. My pastor, Dr. DL Mitchell recommends you read a chapter from Proverbs each day and three chapters from Psalms. If you use that method, you will read through the Psalms and the Proverbs once a month…12 times in an entire year. And, it will only cost you about 15 minutes a day. I am sure glad Jesus Christ isn’t up for election. He is Lord of Lords and Kings and that will never change. He is the only one that has ever walked this earth that is truly undefeatable. And, He has given us the moral absolutes that will keep our country great…but, only as we cling to them uncompromisingly.


Labels: A September Challenge: Read "The Absolutes: Freedom's Only Hope"

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...