Saturday, January 28, 2017

"One Day at a Time, Sweet Jean Size . . . . . ."

I started training about a year ago in three months I lost nearly two stone and went from a size 14 to a between a size 6 and 8. I loved training, adored it, but, never had the figure that was my ideal, even when I got down to a size 6!!!

Then I met my new partner who had been into fitness all his life, but when we started living together, training stopped and loved upness began, and, believe you and me I have no regrets.


The thing is that the loved upness didn’t stop, and still hasn’t, but the size 6 has receded back and realising my new clothes were no longer fitting AT ALL I decided to go back into training. So got the picture of the body I wanted in my mind, even off pulled one off the internet so I would have something to properly aim for and off I set.


Week 1 gave up, kept looking in the mirror size 8 never mind 6 was still far into the future. Then I became totally fed up and very down and dismal on myself about how I had sunk back into not training again. Told myself and my partner I would restart next week, then, next week came I would start then give up, same old reason.


Looking in the mirror seeing the spare tyre just made me so despondent. My partner, due to the fact he has trained his body all his life can put on weight then, within a couple of weeks shift the whole bloody lot, this didn’t help, it just made me more fed up and toe curlingly jealous.


Then whilst looking through an abs building site it dawned on me that there are two groups of people. The first gauges their progress against how near they are to attaining some kind of an ideal goal. The second group measures their progress from the place where they started.


Measuring your progress against an ideal is like trying to travel to the horizon. You can never get there because no matter how much you move toward it, the horizon will always be a long distance off, as it was with me, no matter how fit or slim I became it was never enough, so my goal always seemed to be an equal distance away from where I was when I started.


People that use this strategy in deciding whether or not they are making progress are always frustrated because it seems that they are making no progress.


The second group of people are those that note where they were when they started. When they look back, it is obvious that they have made progress – even if it is just a little progress.


The problem that I encountered, and have since recognised, is that I did not stop to celebrate my success. Instead I kept looking at where I was and where I wanted to go and felt a sense of disappointment when I should have been celebrating my progress of how far I had travelled.


So for anyone and everyone who is trying to do anything. Learn to measure your progress from where you started. If you measure your progress any other way – you will always feel deflated and despondent. You ARE making progress. Make sure you celebrate even the smallest success. If you are trying to make go of a new business venture celebrate anything even down to just one person looking at your site/shop/etc. If you are on a weight losing journey celebrate the small things ie giving up sugar in coffee, an ounce of weight loss anything and everything. If you will just do this one small thing, you will notice that more success will come to you faster.


Labels: "One Day at a Time, Sweet Jean Size . . . . . ."

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...